Log in

No account? Create an account
22 March 2007 @ 09:36 pm
I found this: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Category:English_slang

And i'm wondering if you guys know of any other sites like it?

I've been informed that i'll have to start writing in 'the Queen's english' in September for my Masters in the UK. Anyone else ever have to 'switch'? Any tips?

I've got two ideas so far: 1) change my Word dictionary to the British english one, and 2) to start writing in British english any chance I get.
WhiTigLilwhitiglil on March 23rd, 2007 02:00 am (UTC)
Wow, I didn't really think about that one... What are the major differences?
thatwemightflythatwemightfly on March 23rd, 2007 02:15 am (UTC)
"u"s and "s"s instead of "z"s, exchanging two ll's for one l, different contexts, meanings, etc. Spelling and grammar junk. Random stuff I don't normally think about but will have to.
WhiTigLilwhitiglil on March 23rd, 2007 02:19 am (UTC)
Yeah, I sure hope someone has a book on this stuff, because I totally won't remember! But changing the Word settings would be my first thing to do... I'm also going to be starting a Master's program in the UK in the Fall, os yeah, same boat.
thatwemightflythatwemightfly on March 23rd, 2007 02:22 am (UTC)
Yeah? Where, and which programme? (ha!! see that!)
WhiTigLilwhitiglil on March 23rd, 2007 02:27 am (UTC)
Haha, I see that. I can read the stuff semi-effectively, but I can't quite remember to apply it, heh. I'm still waiting for responses from some unis, but right now, I've been accepted to the University of Kent at Canterbury for both the MSc in Social & Applied Psychology and the MSc in Research Methods in Psychology programs. At the very least, I need to figure out which of the two programs make more sense since I want to also get a PhD in Social Psychology after that, and I'm not quite sure what works better since I don't even know if I'd want to do my PhD in the UK or the US...

So how about you?
thatwemightflythatwemightfly on March 23rd, 2007 02:31 am (UTC)
I'm in the Creative Writing (poetry strand) at Newcastle Uni. :) No idea what i'm going to do after, either. I'm considering one of those 'teach english in anoter country for a few years' things.
WhiTigLilwhitiglil on March 23rd, 2007 02:40 am (UTC)
now that sounds absolutely spiffy! But I can only guess that the "Queen's English" would be more important for you, LOL. Well, you could always teach English in the Far East or something like that. Best of luck!
thatwemightflythatwemightfly on March 23rd, 2007 02:44 am (UTC)
Somewhere in Russia or Spain would be fantastic...

But thanks for the well wishes, and the best of luck to you as well!
WhiTigLilwhitiglil on March 23rd, 2007 02:54 am (UTC)
That would totally work, too! Have fun while you are at it, too! Thanks!
thatwemightflythatwemightfly on March 23rd, 2007 02:35 am (UTC)
From another comm, i've heard you can also change your IM settings as well. And singing along to Brit songs. And also watching Newscasts from the UK, hopefully from the area you'll be in.
WhiTigLilwhitiglil on March 23rd, 2007 02:41 am (UTC)
Oh, wow... I use trillian, so I didn't even think of that, and don't even know if I do have special settings. Thanks for the tips!
The Little Mermaidlittle_mermaid on April 18th, 2007 03:34 am (UTC)
It'll come naturally. Just concern yourself with not hopping in the driver's side when getting a taxi!
Russia Moorerussia_moore on April 29th, 2007 09:02 pm (UTC)
Hey, I just started a community for stuff like this. nor_am_uk_ac is meant for North American students going to the UK. Right now it's a wee baby community, but eventually I hope it'll help a bunch of people (including myself) out!